Meditation on the Word of God

“Blessed is the man … [whose] delight is in the law of the Lord, and on his law he meditates day and night” (Psalm 1:1-2).

What does it mean to meditate on the Word of God? Is it the emptying of the mind that Eastern religions endorse? Is it a New Age state of mind where we float off to another place free from worry and anxiety - escaping all rational thought? It is it simply Bible reading and prayer?

There is much confusion in the Christian world as to what the word 'meditation' means. In David Mathis's words "it is the most misunderstood and most underrated of the disciplines in the church today."

To those who are worried that I am speaking of an emptying of the mind, let me assure you, I AM NOT. Christian meditation is very distinct from other practices of meditation; whereas the common practice of emptying your mind is the key in most well known forms, the Christian meditates by actively filling their mind with biblical truth that has the power to reorder their affections and renew their mind so that they may be able to discern the good, acceptable, & perfect will of God (see Romans 12:2).

So, how does one learn to meditate on the word of God? I am glad you asked that question. It is not simply reading the Bible or praying. In Tim Keller's words 'it is neither and both'.

Jonathan Edwards explains his experience of meditation this way:
 "In reading [the Scripture] I seemed often to see so much light, that I could not get along in reading — almost every sentence seemed to be full of wonders. … I … found, from time to time, an inward sweetness, that used, as it were, to carry me away in my contemplations. I felt alone … sweetly conversing with Christ, and wrapped and swallowed up in God. The sense I had of divine things, would often of a sudden as it were, kindle up a sweet burning in my heart; an ardor of my soul, that I know not how to express. …"

The first thing we need to do before meditating on the Word of God is to read the Word of God....and not just read it....read it slowly. I think this is a common mistake that many make. We rush through our Bible reading time, check a box and move on with our day....and it is no wonder that we leave our devotional time COLD. Thomas Watson knew this well. He says "the reason we come away so cold from reading the word is, because we do not warm ourselves at the fire of meditation." We have wrongly adopted the rushed, busied mindset of the culture: do, do, DO! We feel like we are wasting time by mulling over a text. Pausing. Pondering. When in actuality,  it is this slowed, unhurried pace that can allow our hearts to be kindled, experiencing communion with God as we meditate on His word.

Donald Whitney talks about the difference between hearing the Word, reading the Word and meditating on the Word with a tea bag illustration. He says “In this analogy your mind is the cup of hot water and the tea bag represents your intake of Scripture. Hearing God’s Word is like one dip of the tea bag into the cup. Some of the tea’s flavor is absorbed by the water, but not as much as would occur with a more thorough soaking of the bag. Reading, studying, and memorizing God’s Word are like additional plunges of the tea bag into the cup. The more frequently the tea enters the water, the more permeating its effect. Meditation, however, is like immersing the tea bag completely and letting it steep until all the rich tea flavor has been extracted and the hot water is thoroughly tinctured reddish brown. Meditation on Scripture is letting the Bible brew in the brain.” Let us mull over God’s Word, pondering, praying over and thinking on the text, and then we just might know the transformation that happens as our minds are renewed in the Scriptures (Romans 12:2).

PRACTICAL STEPS
As you read the Scriptures slowly, pay attention to any phrases or verses that really stick out to you. Choose one or two. After your Bible reading, spend some time dwelling on the 1 or 2 things that caught your attention. If you need some help going deep in reflecting on the truths, or chewing on the scripture, I have posted Tim Keller's approach to Martin Luther's principles of prayer below. With 1 or 2 verses in mind, ask yourself these questions:
  • Adoration: How can I love and praise God on the basis of this? What do I see here that I can praise him for?
  • Repentance: How do I fail to realize this in my life? What wrong behavior, harmful emotions or attitudes result when I forget this?
  • Gospel thanks: How can I thank Jesus as the ultimate revelation of this attribute of God (reflected upon in #1) and the ultimate answer to this sin or need of mine (reflected upon in #2)?
  • Aspiration: How does this show me what I should or could be and do? How would I be different if this truth were powerfully real to me?
Allow your meditations to lead you in prayer and you will find your prayers becoming more effective as well. Meditation truly is the missing link.

For more information read these articles referenced in the blog post:
Warm Yourself  at the Fires of Meditation
A Prayer Life That Nourishes Your Relationship to God

No comments

Post a Comment

Contributors

Professional Blog Designs by pipdig