Reflection on John 16:4-33

Friends, I am supposed to move onto John 16, but my heart is still back in John 15. My heart is desiring to abide in Jesus. In fact, I took a little break from writing yesterday so that I could connect with the Lord longer in His Word.

I want His words to abide in me. They can. I need to memorize them and meditate on them. May I be diligent to do this. Some ladies made goals with me at the beginning of July for scripture memorization. How's it coming along?

Today, our passage is in John 16. There is much covered, so I will only mention a little snippet. John speaks about prayer for the THIRD time in THREE chapters. It is important. Jesus wants to communicate glorious truths to us....don't let a cynical heart pass over them. Here are the three passages:
John 14:13–14: “Whatever you ask in my name, this I will do, that the Father may be glorified in the Son. If you ask me anything in my name, I will do it.”
John 15:7–8, 16: “If you abide in me, and my words abide in you, ask whatever you wish, and it will be done for you. By this my Father is glorified, that you bear much fruit and so prove to be my disciples . . . . You did not choose me, but I chose you and appointed you that you should go and bear fruit and that your fruit should abide, so that whatever you ask the Father in my name, he may give it to you.”
John 16:23–24: “Truly, truly, I say to you, whatever you ask of the Father in my name, he will give it to you. Until now you have asked nothing in my name. Ask, and you will receive, that your joy may be full.

Prayer is primarily for GOD'S GLORY and OUR JOY. They go together. One of John Piper's famous quotes is "God is most glorified in us when we are most satisfied in Him." Let us pursue Him and take these passages to heart.

If you really want to understand these verses and fire up your prayer life, I pray that you would listen to Piper's wonderful sermon on prayer from John 16. I needed to hear it, and I pray that your heart would be stirred to pursue Christ more as a result. To Him be the glory!

No comments

Post a Comment

Contributors

Professional Blog Designs by pipdig