Reflection of John 4:27-42

We are continuing the beautiful story of the woman at the well.

She was a woman who perhaps lacked hope and sought true love & abundant life in all the wrong places. Before she met Jesus she hid from others, coming to the well at the hottest part of the day, surely weighed down with guilt and shame. After the scales come off her eyes and she discovers who Jesus is, she is CHANGED. No longer is her story one of guilt and shame. She gladly goes back to her hometown and instead of avoiding people like before she proclaims her story of meeting the Saviour of the world. For the past two days I’ve been hearing this song in the background as I meditate on the story. This is the Samaritan woman’s story. It can be our story too:

If I told you my story
You would hear Hope that wouldn't let go
And if I told you my story
You would hear Love that never gave up
And if I told you my story
You would hear Life, but it wasn't mine

If I should speak then let it be
Of the grace that is greater than all my sin
Of when justice was served and where mercy wins
Of the kindness of Jesus that draws me in
Oh to tell you my story is to tell of Him

The trajectory of her life had changed forever by ONE encounter with Jesus. How glorious is that?

This story helps my heart to see how Jesus engages those who are far from Him. He is not condemning. I feel like many inside and outside of the church need to hear this. He cares for the person. He invites us to a different life. A better life. The doors are open. The ball is in our court. We may respond to the invitation or we may reject it. It is our rejection of the invitation that brings condemnation – but Jesus’ heart is that everyone know the beauty of this abundant life in Him.

I can tell you from my own experience, there is nothing better than this life with Christ. There is nothing more satisfying than knowing the God of the Universe. I have never felt more alive than when I am worshipping the King of all creation. HE is EVERYTHING. I want everyone to taste this! The Word says 

Oh, taste and see that the LORD is good!” Psalm 34:8

Do you hear how emphatic the psalmist is? He wants us to not just know in our heads, but to experience the Goodness of God in our hearts. Let us not just know about God, let us know God. 

But relationship with the Lord is not the only thing that is satisfying. Do you know what else is nourishing?

Doing the will of God.

The disciples arrive back from buying food in town. They are worried about Jesus. He’s got to be famished! Jesus refuses their food saying that “[He] has food to eat that they do not know about” John 4:32. His ‘food’, his nourishment, his sustenance comes from doing the will of God.

My food is to do the will of him who sent me and to accomplish his work.” John 4:34

He then goes on to talk about the harvest. There is work to do. The fields are ripe for harvest! Let us not delay the work of sharing the gospel to those in our path. The fields are ripe. By prioritizing the harvest, Jesus is able to see MANY people come to believe in Him and be delivered from the Kingdom of Darkness into the Kingdom of Light.
                      
Do we want to find that which truly satisfies? Do we want lives that matter? Our reading for today gives us two glorious answers to fulfilling these things: 1. Get to really know Jesus. 2. Make your ‘food’ the will of God. He has a purpose for your life and it is magnificent. Will you join Him on His mission?

No comments

Post a Comment

Contributors

Professional Blog Designs by pipdig