Reflection on John 6:22-59

What are you striving for? What is it that you are pursuing to satisfy your soul?
A better body?
A perfect vacation?
A relationship to complete you?
A climb up the corporate ladder?
A more organized, disciplined self?
What are you seeking?

In an earlier reflection I alluded to my life of seeking 'accomplishment after accomplishment' only to find that when achieved it left me EMPTY

So empty, that I was desperate to be filled. Desperate. I binged on food just to feel full inside. But that too only brought emptiness. And shame. 

I drank from the well of self: a better body, better grades, better organization will fill me. EMPTY

I drank from the well of others: relationships with others will bring meaning to my life. EMPTY

I drank from the well of the world: good food, good wine, good outfits will leave me happy. EMPTY

I drank from well of religion: Morality will grant me significance. EMPTY. 
Do not work for the food that perishes, but for the food that endures to eternal life, which the Son of Man will give to you” John 6:27
It was not until I came to BELIEVE in Christ that all of this changed. 
This is the work of God, that you believe in him whom he has sent.” John 6:29
The Father opened my eyes to the Son’s glory and I put my faith in Him. I desired to truly know God. Instead of running to the well of self, I pursued Him. I began to put aside time every day to grow in relationship with the Lord. I brought my Bible, journal, a hungry heart and a blanket to a quiet park in Pullman, WA – my retreat from the loud, crazy, party town where the COUGS reside. Here, The Lord changed me. I ate up the New Testament. I experienced for THE FIRST TIME IN MY LIFE  COMPLETE SATISFACTION.  He became everything to me, and I was FULL. I had experienced the deepest, richest, most beautiful love in the world. I had ‘tasted that the Lord was good’ (Psalm 34:8). I could say as David said that indeed ‘Your love is better than life (Psalm 63:3).
Jesus said…“I am the bread of life; whoever comes to me shall not hunger, and whoever believes in me shall never thirst.” John 6:35
The binging stopped. I was full. I can understand these words above because I experienced them. 

You might wonder, what does Jesus mean we will never hunger or thirst again?

We often miss the deeper spiritual point when we only read Jesus’ words literally. 

YOUR SOUL CAN BE DEEPLY SATISFIED. 

You can experience a joy and fullness that you never thought possible.
It is only found in HIM.

JESUS IS THE BREAD OF LIFE. 

Let me speak to you from my past experience: Don’t work for that which will leave you empty. Do not invest your life in things that don’t ultimately satisfy. Do not run to the well of yourself, others, the world or religion.
And please...do not seek Jesus because of what He can do for you (see John 6:26). Seek Him for HIM


And I pray that your life would come to be defined by this one beautiful word:

SATISFIED.

No comments

Post a Comment

Contributors

Professional Blog Designs by pipdig