Reflection on John 1:19-34

If I were to choose one word that captures John the Baptist in this passage it would be 'humility'. I am captivated  by his humility.
 I baptize with water, but among you stands one you do not know....the strap of whose sandal I am not worthy to untie." John 1:26-27
He is speaking of his unworthiness to do for Jesus a task that was considered below Jewish slaves. Wow. He is on holy ground and he knows it.

Tim Keller speaks of humility this way:
 “...the essence of gospel-humility is not thinking more of myself or thinking less of myself, it is thinking of myself less.”
John the Baptist was most definitely thinking of himself less. It was all about Jesus. Later on we hear him say the words that "[Jesus] must increase, but I must decrease" John 3:30. What beauty.

This was a man who was NOT living for his own glory. He did not have his own plans and ambition for his life in mind. He was clearly living his life for a single purpose. A calling. His purpose in life was to point people to Jesus the Saviour: "the lamb of God who takes away the sin of the world" John 1:29. He was sent by God for a mission and his singularity of focus and self forgetfulness is compelling to me.

 So what about us? Are we seeking our own glory, honour or accolades or are we seeking the glory of the One who is worthy of all worship, praise, and adoration? Our mission is similar to John's, to point people to Jesus the Saviour. Will we point others to Him or to ourselves?

May we all seek to make MUCH of Jesus for He alone is worthy.

No comments

Post a Comment

Contributors

Professional Blog Designs by pipdig