Reflection on Acts 16

Chapter 16 contains one of my son’s favourite stories in Scripture: the story of Paul & Silas in prison.  Why might this story be so captivating to a little boy? I can’t say for sure but I think it is because it puts him in a grand story. He loves to act the story out. He pretends he is ‘preaching the gospel’ and then is sent to prison for his task of setting people free with the good news...Our daughter joins him and the two of them sit on a rug near the kitchen and pretend they are in chains. BUT, there is something different about this ‘prison’ of theirs...It is overflowing with praise to God! They sit on their rug together and sing ‘Jesus Loves Me’ and ‘Hallelujah’ as they imitate Paul and Silas in chains at midnight.


I get the part of the jailer, which thankfully, ends pretty good for me. An earthquake takes place and the chains fall off my son and daughter (err…Paul & Silas) and I shout from the kitchen ‘what must I do to be saved?!’ Paul stands up and declares ‘believe in the Lord Jesus and you will be saved!’ and then he proceeds to hand me a Bible (not in the passage) and the jailer is baptized (this is in the passage 😀). 

The story IS captivating. Let’s take a look at a couple of ironies:
  • Preachers of freedom are put in chains for seeking to set others free (from sin, Satan, death & hell)
  • Even in their chains the Christians are the most free people on earth

How is it that nothing could shake Paul and Silas? Beaten. Imprisoned. And yet NOT downcast. How was this possible?
 
Paul answers our question in Philippians 4:11-13: “I have learned in whatever situation I am to be content. I know how to be brought low, and I know how to abound. In any and every circumstance, I have learned the secret of facing plenty and hunger, abundance and need. I can do all things through him who strengthens me.”

Christ’s presence made all the difference. 

Here is the beautiful truth: we don’t need more ‘things’ to make us happy. We don’t need absence of trials to make us happy. We don’t need a perfect family. Do you know what we need for true, holy & abundant joy? 

Jesus.

I love this quote by C.S. Lewis: “He who has God and everything has no more than he who has God alone.”

God is everything. Paul said that all pursuits in life apart from Christ were garbage – it was worthless compared to knowing Jesus personally (Phil 3:8-11). 

May we know the intimacy with Jesus that Paul and Silas had. May we treasure Him above all things and praise Him even in difficult circumstances…and as we do, may we see His mighty power at work to transform us and others for the glory of God and the good of His people.

____
If you are interested in diving into this subject more, check out this 400 year old Puritan read “The Rare Jewel of Christian Contentment” By Jeremiah Burroughs

No comments

Post a Comment

Contributors

Professional Blog Designs by pipdig