Reflection on Acts 22

Amazing Grace
How sweet the sound
That saved a wretch like me

How amazing is God’s grace? Is it potent enough to rescue a murderer? A terrorist? An extremist for hate?

We find in Acts 21 that God’s grace is indeed powerful enough to pursue the hardest sinner and transform them into a kind-hearted, self-sacrificing saint and disciple of our King Jesus. 

If you think I am exaggerating, this is the second account of Paul’s conversion. It is so important to Christian history and the book of Acts that it is recorded THREE times in these 28 chapters.

This time Luke is not recording it with his words, but rather recording Paul’s testimony that he himself gives to the Roman authorities and to the angry mob of Jews ready to murder him. What an audience! 

Paul is clear from the beginning that he does not reject the Old Testament and the God of His Fathers (like they so fanatically accused him). Rather, he shares that he is a Hebrew of Hebrews! He was a Pharisee trained under Gamamiel (an eminent Jewish teacher) that, like the crowd, was zealously persecuting the church. 

BUT GOD INTERVENED. Saul was on his way to ravage the church like a wild animal seeking to destroy it. He was NOT seeking God. But God was pursuing HIM

Let me just take a moment to reflect on that point…God was pursuing Saul – a terrorist. He was a man who hated Jesus & the church. Does this surprise you? Romans 5 says that ‘while we were still his enemies we were reconciled to God by the death of his Son’ (Romans 5:10). We were enemies like Paul, but God pursued us and opened our eyes to the reality of what He did for us. We didn’t do anything to earn this! WE WERE HIS ENEMIES. 

I know this experience well. I was not pursuing God, but He was pursuing me. I was living my own life with my own dreams – and I had no desire to know this God ‘who had a wonderful plan for my life’. I had a wonderful plan for my life, thank you, I didn’t need any direction.

BUT GOD INTERVENED. The greatest blessing in my life is that GOD INTERVENED. I would have never come to Him, but He pursued my heart and showed me that HE CREATED me. HE ALONE knew what I was created for, and Jesus died on the cross for my rebellion, so that I might be forgiven and enjoy eternity with a God that loves me. I didn’t deserve that love. I still do not deserve that love. I was His enemy. We all were. ‘But God shows his love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us.” (Romans 5:8).

Let this reality speak to you this morning: “We are more sinful and flawed than we ever dared believe, yet more loved and accepted in Jesus than we ever dared hope.” –Tim Keller
God pursues hard hearted sinners. He opens our eyes to who He is and what He has done, He cleanses us and He calls us to a world changing mission more glorious than we can even imagine.                            

He is calling right now. Will you answer Him?

No comments

Post a Comment

Contributors

Professional Blog Designs by pipdig