Reflection on Acts 20-28

“But I do not account my life of any value nor as precious to myself, if only I may finish my course and the ministry that I received from the Lord Jesus, to testify to the gospel of the grace of God.” Acts 20:24

What do you look to for joy? For satisfaction? For lasting fulfillment? For many in our culture, the goal is happiness...but the important question is where do we look to find this contentment? Perhaps it is a good marriage, close-knit family, nice house, vacations, etc. 

I know that before I became a Christian much of my life was spent trying to attain certain happiness, a satisfaction in life to fill the emptiness in my heart. I sought after attaining accolades in sports, academics, fitness, cheerleading, and relationships: all to no avail. The emptiness remained.
You have made us for yourself, O Lord, and our heart is restless until it rests in you
–St Augustine

When I came to see the Lord was my Creator and Saviour and indeed, that I was made for Him, everything changed. As I grew in communion with the Lord, seeking Him in the Word, journaling and prayer, my soul for the first time in my life was satisfied. No more striving. My heart found its rest in Jesus.

I remember the small things from my first year as a child of God. Watching a sunset and giving praise to God for His glorious creation, singing at the top of my lungs worshiping my Saviour on Sunday and at home, sharing the gospel with my co-workers with no fear. I remember thinking: “I was made to worship God. I have never felt more alive in my life”. 

We were made for a purpose. We were invited into God’s glorious mission. Sadly, many seek worldly ambitions and remain unsatisfied. Could it be that we are pursuing the wrong goals? Could it be that we were made for something more than living for ourselves? Something better? Something more glorious? A life-changing, eternity impacting mission? I believe so.

As we look into Paul’s life and ministry we see a purpose and passion that is awe inspiring and contagious. We see a man pouring out his life joyfully for the cause of Christ. And it is not drudgery. It is overflow of a man that has experienced the love of Christ and can’t help but pour it out. He has received such mercy, His heart longs that others may know this mercy.

And so he shares this good news of the grace of God every chance he gets. 

Escaping a crowd ready to lynch him, how does he respond? “I beg you, permit me to speak to the people.” Acts 21:39. He is hungry to share the gospel.

Before the Sanhedrin (Acts 22), before the mayor (Acts 22), before the governors (Acts 23-24), and before a king (Acts 25-26), He seeks to make much of Jesus. He is not intimidated. He uses every opportunity

Jesus said that his disciples would get this opportunity: “…they will lay their hands on you and persecute you, delivering you up to the synagogues and prisons, and you will be brought before kings and governors for my name’s sake. This will be your opportunity to bear witness.” Luke 21:12-13

And bear witness he does. His passion is that others would know and experience this salvation that is his. When King Agrippa asks “in a short time would you persuade me to be a Christian?” Paul answers “Short time or long—I pray to God that not only you but all who are listening to me today may become what I am, except for these chains." Acts 26:27-28

The most loving thing we can do is tell people this good news. The most satisfying thing we will ever do is join God on his mission to see people “open their eyes and turn from darkness to light, and from the power of Satan to God, so that they may receive forgiveness of sins and a place among those who are sanctified by faith in [Jesus]” Acts 26:18.

We are on a great adventure. We are a part of this story. It doesn’t end with Paul. It doesn’t end with Acts 28. We are all invited into this grand assignment. We have received power from the Holy Spirit not to remain in the comforts of our home and church, but to go into the world, see God push back darkness, and join Him on a larger-than-life undertaking ‘to testify to the gospel of the grace of God’. 

“The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few” Luke 10:2. Did you catch that? People’s hearts are ready to receive the good news. Let us pray for the opportunity and join Jesus on His mission that we may see lives transformed in our very midst.

“Now to him who is able to do far more abundantly than all that we ask or think, according to the power at work within us,  to him be glory in the church and in Christ Jesus throughout all generations, forever and ever. Amen.” Ephesians 3:20-21

No comments

Post a Comment

Contributors

Professional Blog Designs by pipdig